Monday, December 3, 2007

Take a fashion website and together a list of the ways the fashion industry molds the way we perceive ourselves and bodies.

Carlie Kappl


Mass Communications


Take a fashion website and together a list of the ways the fashion industry molds the way we perceive ourselves and bodies.


My bible has an official Web site: cosmopolitan.com


Not only do I have a year long subscription with which I read through almost every article, but I often visit the Web site for extended tips on life, love and yes--fashion.



I'm not sure who gave Cosmo the okay to tell women who are 17-37 how to dress, but sure enough, fashion is one of the sections that makes it into every issue with a page dedicated to "7 things to crave right now" which shows 7 styles that every woman should own. Also, there are plenty of pages dedicated to "who wore it better?" between celebrities, choose the best style for your shape, etc.


But people actually buy into this stuff. I mean, I take some of these suggestions seriously, but I think the tips mostly account for good reading. But some fashion ideas such as the high-waisted houndstooth baggy pants that fold up at the bottom paired with a tucked in shirt? Sorry, not my style.
However, I can appreciate their suggestions on the best haircut for your face shape. These people obviously know what they're talking about, and I trust them to help me decide how to cut my hair. This could possibly in part be due to the fact they tell me I can wear my hair basically however I want.


I've been anti-bangs since about 8th grade, but when I saw Reese Witherspoon on the cover of CosmoStyle a few months ago, I actually allowed my hair to be cut into bangs.

Obviously Reese Witherspoon wasn't the only inspiration behind my look, but when you see the style on a hot celebrity, it definitely makes you whip out the scissors a little bit faster.


Curious about how to get the hair that gets you want you want? Visit www.cosmopolitan.com/style/hairstyles/ for more details.


Cosmo also has some great tips regarding makeup application and colors that are great for your skin and eye color that actually make sense. Cosmo may be corrupting the world a little by strongly influencing its readers about fashion, but if they didn't want to be corrupted, they wouldn't read the magazine, right?


Do you want to be on the fast track to becoming a "fun, fearless female"? Visit https://subscribe.hearstmags.com/subscribe/splits/cosmopolitan/cos_sub_nav_link to order your own subscription to Cosmo. Don't worry guys, there's a "Cosmo for your guy" section in every issue.

No comments: