Monday, December 3, 2007

Take a fashion website and put together a lisis of ways the fashion industry molds the way we perceive ourselves and our bodies (males or females):










A fashion website that I chose to discuss was http://www.abercrombie.com/. Abercrombie fashion is an important topic to me because it was all I would wear in High School. What might be appealing to some viewers, is just wrong for others. After looking at the Abercrombie website, I realized what the website was actually portraying to its viewers. It's saying that you should have an awesome body, probably be naked, and take control of situations in life, usually when it comes to the opposite sex.





Usually, the fashion industry has a controversy about the female or male models being too thin, but in this case it is an entirely different issue. When I would just shop normally at Abercrombie, I would buy the clothes that I thought were “in” and whatever just looked nice on my body. But when I went to the website to shop online, I thought to myself, “Wow, these models are looking really hot, but they sure aren’t doing a good job modeling the clothes because they don’t have ANY ON.” Most of the male models on the websites were just showing off their huge muscles, standing against an object,playing some kind of dominating sport, or kissing a girl. Abercrombie's website doesn't usually show many of the models showing off their clothes, it just protrays how the viewers should live their life.

What I think that is absurd is that most of Abercrombie’s shoppers are high school teens. The messages that Abercrombie’s website is giving to them is that the more naked you are, the better it is. Also, the more a man is in control of a situation; the better the situation can be for him. Sex, great bodies, and controlling situations are considered fashion to Abercrombie’s fashion, but I just think it’s wrong. What these pictures aren't doing is showing the shoppers how awesome the clothes are, it's just showing the opposite.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Everything you just said is how i love my life...bitch