Wednesday, December 5, 2007

Location Activity: Visit the Railroad Museum


Carlie Kappl


Mass Communication



Location Activity: Visit the Railroad Museum



Okay, so in my last post regarding museums I said I hated them and they creeped me out. They still do, but the Railroad Museum was actually very interesting. I have never been a fan of trains considering they run through my backyard at home, and they are very loud and obnoxious. However, I enjoyed my visit to the museum. We even got to board one of the trains in the exhibit and walk around it.


It is very scenic. When you first pull in there are trains everywhere outside. There is a large gift shop in the entrance that sells all sorts of train stuff. I should have picked up something for my four-year-old nephew who has a love affair with Thomas the train. Next time.


And that's the thing. I would actually go back to this museum and take a closer look around at it. Something interesting I saw was that they had displays of different parts of the railroad, like this huge sledgehammer-like thing called a spike maul.

This bad boy can safely strike a spike on either said of the rail, where an ordinary sledgehammer cannot because the head on it is too short. This tool makes it easier for the worker to drive several spikes without having to move to the other side of the rail.




The exhibit also had three other trains lined up with it. These were un-boardable, but they had a festive display of Christmas presents in the front of them on a stage with a chair for people to sit and get their pictures taken in front of.

The trains were obviously massive, but it was interesting to seem them up close. For more information about the exhibits, visit




In another room, there were displays of old time scenes of people working on the railroad with descriptions of each scene.



Interestingly, it turns out the museum serves a multi-purpose. People can book birthday parties and wedding receptions there too. For more information visit
http://www.nationalrrmuseum.org/en-Us/news/event_calendar/default.aspx for more events and for more information on how to book your own event.

No comments: