Sunday, December 2, 2007

Reflect on early childhood and choose a particular television program and reflect on its effect

Carlie Kappl



Mass Commuication



Research Activity

Reflect on early childhood and choose a particular television program and reflect on its effect


I grew up with three older brothers. And when I say older, I mean older. My brothers are 13, 12 and four years older than me. I was a spoiled brat, and my brothers made me pay for it. Not only did they make we watch scary Michael Myers and Jason movies, they would make me watch shows like Married with Children and the Simpsons that were probably a little out of my age range. But I enjoyed them, and my parents never censored me from these televison shows.

For information about how or why to watch and explain television to kids from a father's standpoint, visit http://www.medialit.org/reading_room/article52.html

Both of the above programs are fairly clean if you don't pick up on the between-the-lines subliminal sexual messages, but once you start getting older, you start getting wiser.

However, when the language itself is repeated over and over, you don't have to bother reading between the lines. When Bart grumbles, "Eat my shorts!" or Homer yells, "Damn!" it sticks with kids. So does Barney and Homer's repeated actions of slamming Duff beer in just about every episode. This is probably why when many of my friends were younger, they weren't allowed to watch the Simpsons.

I don't think the show morally corrupts you in any way; it may just teach you a bit of minor French and introduces other adult concepts. I have a bad habit of swearing and have dealt with this habit for years. I don't think it's a bad thing, but it can sometimes get out of control. Being a college student, I also drink to have a good time, which also at times can get a little out of control. I wonder if watching these television shows when I was so young had an impact on my language and drinking habits today.

And then I remember: I had three older brothers who also liked to go out and party and two very open parents dropping f-bombs all day. Too bad you can't censor your family.

Visit http://www.independent.ie/opinion/analysis/simpsons-the-family-values-role-model-1050478.html to read why David Quinn allows his children to watch the Simpsons.

No comments: