Sunday, December 2, 2007

Reflect on early childhood and choose a particular television program and reflect on its effect:


When I was younger, all I wanted to do when I got home from Pre School was to turn on the tube and watch Scooby Doo with my mom. Scooby Doo was probably one of the best half an hour power naps she had at that time. But as for me, it was a time fantastic time, a half an hour period for me to escape into my own world of mystery and excitement.


When I was younger, watching Scooby Doo filled up my head with storylines and gave me a sense of justice. I had planed when I would get older, I would just be like gang I would catch the next “bad guy” or “monster”. Before I watched Scooby Doo, I was like any other kid; afraid of monsters in my closet or underneath my bed whenever I turned off the light. Watching Scooby Doo proved to me that the bad guys always got caught and that monsters were actually some loonies just in stupid masks. That made me feel at ease and more relaxed to go to bed at night. Probably a disadvantage that Scooby Doo had on my childhood was that I thought all dogs could talk. I would talk to my Golden Retriever at the time, and would grab her by her collar and go searching for clues in the middle of the night around my house. Unfortunately, not only did my dog ever talk back, but my parents would always catch me. Not only did Scooby Doo make me love dogs, but at those really scary times, I realized it was okay to be scared, just like Scooby was. It was a great program that made me use my imagination and gave me strength and courage when I needed it the most in my development years.


Now that I am in college and I know that talking dogs don’t exist, I don’t ever watch Scooby Doo. I admit that I didn’t even see the movie when it came out. I am glad that I watched Scooby when I was younger; it made me have a great and care free childhood. I think that the wonderful programs, such as Scooby Doo, are the best programs to let your children watch. Monsters might be scary to some children but to others, like myself, it was just a chance of something new and exciting. Scooby Doo gave my childhood entertainment, courage, humor, fantasy and a sense of justice.


The Scooby Doo 1968 Theme Song: http://youtube.com/watch?v=H-HOyx_FH4E

No comments: