Wednesday, December 5, 2007

Visit the Railroad Museum

For our last location activity, my group and I decided to travel to the Railroad Museum. At first I thought to myself that this museum was just all about the interior of the trains. Boy, was I wrong! This was probably my favorite location activity because I was actually excited to learn all this interesting information about how “working on the railroad” days would be like in the past.

What I selected to report on was the design of the train. What I thought was really appealing about the design of the “old train” was its inside corridors. The hallways were so extremely small that I could hardly fit though with out turning sideways. This made me think to myself about how life was lived around that period of time. Traveling by train was a normal way to get from point A to point B. In this period of time, people usually travel by cars or planes. Perhaps graffiti is also a turn off for most travelers today. People see that the outside of a train covered and paint and think “trashy”, therefore the insides are useless as well. Also, undersized hallways were also most likely accustomed to their lifestyle. Room’s fancy, padded seats that were so close to one another was probably just a normal way to travel as well. Today, trains are most likely used to shuttle supplies, therefore, making the rooms more spread out and less fancy for few travelers. Obesity is also a big issue today, so if the trains were used for passengers, the hallways would be large enough so that one could pass through. Designers worked hard on the interior and exterior of trains and we should all take that into large consideraction.

What I did like about the train was that it communicated to me on more of a deeper level. I realized that back then, glamour and fashion was easy to come by. Nowadays, people design graffiti on the outside of the trains, not caring about what goes on inside. Back then, passengers appreciated and respected the style that the designers created to make the train more exciting. What we need to realize that the transition we have made from one era to the next has been such a large one.

No comments: