Wednesday, December 5, 2007

Location Activity: Visit the Railroad Museum

Lauren Gregory

Mass Communication


For the location activity, our group got together and visited the Railroad Museum located in downtown Green Bay. I definitely have to start off recommending it for everyone! I mean, how often do you get to board an actual train without a pesky guide following you around?

To me, the most significant part of my tour was in a very large warehouse room that’s home to four refurbished trains. The three other girls and I boarded one of the passenger trains and immediately noticed lots of cool things; including a dining room set up in the middle.

An interesting yet inconvenient thing about the train we boarded was that the walkways were very narrow. If four college girls were scraping their arms on the sides of the train‘s walls, I can’t imagine an oversized adult with luggage trying to get on and off! That train had closter phobia written all over it.

There were many tools and things on display that struck me as being very interesting as well. My favorite being the display showing how they used dynamite to blow tunnels through the mountains.

This activity was an obvious relation to the history of dominant transportation means and how that changed over time. I found it very interesting because although trains aren’t used as exclusively as they once were, they still play an important and economical role in transportation today.

Also, after looking at most of the them, I couldn’t help but notice the size of the trains themselves were getting bigger. It actually didn’t surprise me much at all because it seems to go hand in hand with the American idea that bigger is better.


To check out an interactive slideshow of the museum click here:
http://www.nationalrrmuseum.org/en-Us/exhibits/exhibits/default.aspx

No comments: