Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Write about media experiences that affect you emotionally or physically. For example, include experiences that invoke anger, tears, laughter or nausea

Carlie Kappl


Mass Communications


Research: Write about media experiences that affect you emotionally or physically. For example, include experiences that invoke anger, tears, laughter, or nausea.




I'm a Cosmo girl, and I can't help it. I need my monthly dose of the dirtiest tips to fire up your relationship, and I need to be in on the latest fashions and the gossip. Page after page of basically any magazine displays gorgeous, tan, thin models that I know are ridiculously retouched, but that's not what I think about while I'm shopping and trying on clothes in a fitting room tossing each one to the side because if I just lost "those last five pounds" it would look much better on me.


I have been weight-conscious my entire life. I remember joining cross country (I hate running) in six grade in an attempt to lose weight. I've never considered myself to have an eating disorder, but I do count calories and think about my food and drink consumption 24/7. I find myself always watching those silly reality shows that everyone hates like America's Next Top Model and other ridiculous MTV shows. I remember a girl being kicked off ANTM because she was 135 pounds and about 5'8". Although I know my 5'3" frame is much too short to be a "top model" it still makes me think about my physique even more.


I don't blame the media for showcasing beautiful girls, because honestly, if you flipped through magazines or TV channels and saw all not-traditionally-attractive people, you probably would cancel your subscription ASAP.


There is an excellent ad on YouTube for a Dove commercial that shows just how much retouching models go through to look as flawless as they do on glossy magazine pages. To view, visit:
http://youtube.com/results?search_query=dove+commercial

No comments: