Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Location Activity—Neville Public Museum

Allison Potts

Intro to Mass Communications


On one location activity, my group and I chose to go to the Neville Public Museum. As a child, my mother would take me there all the time but I never really understood how much an advertisement actually goes into the exhibits.

One thing that I thought was fascinating and that also related to Mass Communications were the area that dealt with the war in a corner of the exhibit. I noticed it on the wall right away. One reason is that one of my best friends from High School just joined and I am very scared and proud of him at the same time. The poster has a male US Marine soldier on it, with a quote above saying, “Let’s Go!” Not only was it a male solider, making it seem like women could not join, but what I found interesting was the quote above the Marine. “Let’s Go!” hopes to be interpreted as a positive thing. It doesn’t have other sayings such as, “Die for Your Country!” or “Bring your social security card, pack 20 dollars, get on a plane and leave your life behind!” No. It wants a positive message towards strong, brave, 20 some year old men. What this quote is advertising is that if you join the Marines you can actually “get started” with your life and do something with it. The poster doesn’t show the Marine in brutal combat or lying there dead, but it almost makes it look like the Marine has free time. Another thing about the poster that I noticed is that the Marine had a gun in his hand. To the target audience (adolescent, young men), this could mean that if you join you could “play” with guns. This ad is a great market strategy because it makes this poster look positive and happy and tries to hide all the negative aspects behind. I do understand that however, this is an old poster and that times have changed. Compared with commercials today about the Marines, you see men AND women experiencing difficult tasks and activities to reach a certain goal. Their slogan is, “The Few. The Proud. The Marines”. The slogan is completely different than the poster in the museum. It makes you feel that the few people that actually join the Marines are rewarded in the end with great accomplishment. The pictures are usually with individuals and not a single person that makes it look as if it is a group challenge.

The poster actually made me open up my eyes about how I look at different advertising techniques. I thought that going to the Neville Public Museum was a great idea to interact with Mass Communications.

To visit the Neville Public Museum:
http://www.nevillepublicmuseum.org/


To visit the US Marine Corps website:
http://www.marines.com/page/usmc.jsp?flashRedirect=true

No comments: