Monday, October 15, 2007

Take the Lambeau Field Tour – choose a piece of advertising and report on it

Carlie Kappl


Mass Communications


Location: Lambeau Field Tour

I have lived in Wisconsin all my life just two hours south of Green Bay in the Milwaukee area. I love the Milwaukee Brewers and the Bucks and have always been a fan of both. However, my fascination with football ended with my high school football team. I had never been a fan of professional football, so not surprisingly, I have not been to a single Packer game and the Lambeau Field tour was my first visit to the stadium. It's hard to miss Packerland considering the area is decked out in green and gold from street signs to store banners. Finally stepping inside the legendary stadium was a new experience.

The tour was very informative and I learned more about the past and present Packers in an hour than I have known my whole life. The building is huge and decked out with green and gold and football legends. I was fascinated by the very expensive VIP rooms we had access to around the stadium that can be used year-round, not just for game days. Also, I was surprised the different suites around the stadium can be rented out for businesses for meetings and not just for diehard Packer fans. Also, the Legends room can be rented out for high school proms and other events and is usually booked all year. For a complete schedule of events and to possibly book your own, visit:
http://www.lambeaufield.com/events_info/calendar_of_events/



Lambeau Field has undergone a lot of remodeling, and I thought it was interesting how they kept blocks of cement from the first stadium's tunnel and laid them in the new tunnel so each time they run out onto the field, they step on the same floor the Packers of the 1950's have stepped on.




Although I had never visited Lambeau, I am sure the other stadiums that I have been to have the same type of advertisements. I couldn't believe how many ads I saw when I was actually looking for them. Not only is the green and gold symbolizing the colors of the team throughout and stadium, but there were several ads attached to the place the fans look toward the most when they are not zeroing in on the field--the scoreboard. When I think about a scoreboard, I don't picture ads cluttering it, but that is what the two scoreboards on opposite ends of the field have. Ads for Verizon Wireless, Miller beer (which appeared many times) Farm and Fleet, etc. Displaying large pictures of beer or brands of beer is kind of like a subliminal message because each time a fan checks out the scoreboard, they are flashed with the brief image of beer, which probably makes them thirsty.
Although I have only been to Lambeau once, I don't think many other fans--unless they've taken the tour--had the opportunity to sit in a suite that costs over $100,000 to use it, or to touch the field, or to run through the tunnel the Packers run through at every game. Maybe I'll start watching pro football after all.


For more information about Lambeau Field visit:

No comments: